Why Oral Hygiene is So Important During Your Treatment
Taking care of your teeth is just as important when you get orthodontic appliances. In fact, it may be even more important for patients to adopt healthy oral hygiene habits during their orthodontic treatments.
Dental Hygiene with Braces
Proper oral hygiene may be a bit more difficult with braces, but it will help prevent dental problems like tooth decay, gum disease and demineralization. Without diligent cleaning and oral care during your treatment, these problems can cause more serious oral health issues and even prolong your orthodontic treatment.
To keep your smile healthy while you have metal or ceramic braces, our orthodontist and team encourage you to follow these guidelines:
- Brush your teeth at least three times every day. Brush after every meal, and if you eat a sugary snack in between meals, it is best to brush again.
- Use an interproximal brush to help clean around the brackets and wires. It can help to clean spots that your toothbrush might have a hard time reaching because of your braces.
- Floss at least once every day. Using a floss threader can make it easier to thread the floss behind the wire of your braces.
- Rinse your teeth with water every time you clean your teeth. Based on your specific needs, we may also recommend a specialized rinse.
- Pay attention to the list of foods to avoid with braces. This can help to keep your smile healthy and avoid damage to your braces.
If you would like more information about how to maintain good oral hygiene with braces, call our office today at 303-841-2262 to schedule a FREE consultation. We are eager to speak with you!